30 Horrifying Vintage Photos That Will Keep You Awake At Night:
Photographs have always been used to record unique moments in time. The pictures documented here go beyond the norm by revealing the twisted and sometimes shocking culture of the human race. These photos encapsulate the disturbing mood, revealing tone and sometimes confusing values of yesteryear.
1. A ghostly apparition appears behind a young woman, who sits reading, oblivious to her spectral companion, circa 1925.
2. Horrifying (and nearly fatal) facial injuries to a German soldier in World War I.
3. A foot of the elephant on the head of the artist, ca. 1938.
4. Salvador Dali holds up two seashells at his home in Cadaques on the Costa Brava, Spain, 1955.
5. A woman wearing a crab hat at the League, ca. 1950s.
6. A photo from the Victorian era (no surprise there).
7. The psychiatric unit of a hospital in Haute Savoie, France.
8. A Bagobo, with filed teeth, circa 1910.
9. Distractions at the front; the ‘human serpent’, France, World War I, 1915.
10. A photograph of Will Thomas, taken by William Hope (1863-1933), with a ghost in the background (that they apparently really wanted to include).
11. Max Factor takes precise measurements of a young woman’s head and face with his “Beauty Calibrator” (1932). Beauty has never been so horrifying.
12. The New Year’s festival of the Sylvester Klause at Urnasch in the Appenzell region of Switzerland… which is full of its own kind of horror.
13. Opera singer at the New York Met, Marie Tiffany singing ‘like a bird’ with her head in a bird cage, 1930.
14. Giraffe woman of Burma in London, ca. 1930.
15. When the circus visited a children’s hospital (circa 1930), clown Charlie Smith didn’t exactly make anyone feel better.
16. A silent, suffering inmate of an insane asylum.
17. Once again, Victorian portraits rule everything.
18. Horatio Gordon Robley and his collection of severed heads, 1895.
19. Lieutenant Herman with his ventriloquist dummy, circa 1870.
20. This ghoulish encounter, circa 1863.
21. Even the dead can be… useful. These med school students and their study subject in 1901.
22. You don’t believe in witches, you say? This group of “witches” in 1875.
23. A clown in a burnt-out house, USA, 1975. Welcome to my nightmare.
24. A patient undergoing treatment for mental illness in 19th-century Germany.
25. Adr. Evtikhiev the “Wolfman,” 19th century.
26. A midnight haunting over a baby’s crib, circa 1860.
27. Six skeletons smoking around the dinner table, circa 1865.
28. This playful clown from 1924.
29. This deathly serious ghost, circa 1905.
30. A man posing with his collection in 1850.
Labels: creepy, culture, life, people, photography, weird